I was asked last week by a new customer. “How do I start my chainsaw?"
This is not a common question we receive, but worth discussing for new chainsaw operators. This is a general guide and some chainsaw models may vary from this procedure.
*Disclaimer. I recommend you read your chainsaw owners manual before proceeding & follow all safety recommendations within the manual.
I am assuming your chainsaw is full of freshly mixed 2-stroke fuel and bar oil.
Cold start procedure.
- If the model is equipped with a chain break activate it.
- Most modern chainsaws are equipped with a decompression valve – press this if fitted.
- Activate the choke lever.
- If the engine is equipped with a manual fuel purge pump, press the clear bulb continually until fuel is visible inside the bulb and fuel flows into the carburetor.
- Place the chainsaw on the ground, then place your right foot in the rear handle, and keep a firm grip on the front handle with your left hand.
- Pull the starter handle with your right hand and repeat until the engine fires.
- Activate the decompression valve again if fitted to your model.
- Push the choke in and apply half-throttle then pull cord until the chainsaw starts.
- Accelerate so the engine idles, then release the chain brake.
How to start a hot chainsaw engine
- Follow the cold starting instructions above, but disregard the points relating to the choke.
- If the engine is difficult to start, apply half-throttle.
- On some chainsaw models, you access half-throttle function by fully activating the choke, then moving the control back one notch.